Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Faith

More on faith I suppose. Last Sunday I heard a great message that spoke about faith. I'll be honest; it wasn't anything I hadn't heard before. Nevertheless, it was plenty that I had chosen not to practice and believe. It's easy to say you believe something. It's a little more difficult to actually believe that something exists in the world. It can be very difficult to believe that something can and will happen in your own life. Confusing wording yes.

This is how I have placed God for a while. I pray. I read His word...not as often as I should but I read. I believe Jesus is supreme Lord. I know he does incredible things. But in my arrogance, I haven't believed that He does this for me. I guess I think I'm somehow special so that God overlooks me and doesn't care or love me as much. Then to further my arrogance, I believe that I have to work to make God be proud of me and to love me. And then I fail. And then I fall farther and farther. All of this because of a weak faith. When trials come, I just say that it's just what I deserve. I think that it shows that God doesn't like me at all. I've failed to live up to what I should have been.

I know alot of this seems like a far throw from faith, but that is what it is all centered around. I haven't had a faith that God will sustain me and provide for me. I haven't believed that as a believer His power is in me. When the slightest trial comes, I surrender instead of persevering. And what is faith if it buckles under the smallest stress. Is that really faith at all?

I can see that it's time for me to make changes in my attitudes. I know I'll never be perfect or measure up, so it's useless to try to earn the grace of God. It's time to have faith that God will come through in my life: to make faith more personal. It's time to persevere in tough times knowing that the one I trust my soul with is also trustworthy of my day to day life. To put it in the simplest terms, it's time to really believe.

3 comments:

Cary said...

Wow.

Great writing man.

It's a hard lesson to learn, that we can't earn God's grace and love, but rather, they are gifts simply waiting to be opened daily.

The fact you're talking so openly about it shows you've really processed a lot and that you're well on your way my friend.

I hope you find what you're looking for on that journey :)

I hope you're doing well Mr. Francis. It's been too long.

Be blessed my friend.

TS said...

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. It really is refreshing to hear about others on the same journey. It's easy (unfortunately) to be deceived into believing God is someone He's not (passive, unloving, etc.)

I pray you'll keep sight of these realizations and come to better know God for who He really is.

WV: rotyri

Anonymous said...

it's interesting we're both learning similar things. i like that.