Thursday, February 19, 2009

Routine

I just got the action on my guitar set to a much easier...place? Bottom line, after four years I can actually play bar chords more than half way decently. That and my guitar doesn't punish me anymore when I play it. We have a much better relationship; just had to take it to "counseling".

I have an extreme lack of routine. I like routine. It helps me pray, exercise, journal, and blog on a regular basis. That and in general I fall into ruts quite easily. Because I like routine. Blessing and a curse. The main reason I think that I don't have a routine is because my working schedule does not promote a very healthy routine. I don't blame work really; I blame me. Besides, a lack of routine simply exposes that which is most important in my life. Despite no routine, I still sit around and watch tv. I still find the time and energy for those things that aren't important, but the important things have low priority in my life it seems. Time for a change.

My macaroni is finished now.

2 comments:

Joel said...

an excellent end to the post. ha. but seriously, i know how it goes. i'm in the process of trying to get out of some ruts in my life. i very well may be always trying to get out of ruts. but as long as i have goals, and a bit of desire, i see faint illuminations of light somewhere down at the end of the tunnel. i hope the same for you.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Nick Francis -

I am Ryan McCoskey and this is your blog. You wrote a post and now I'm commenting on it. You talked about prioritizing and I eat priorities for lunch (whatever that means). I'm writing in annoying declarative statements and now I will stop.

I enjoyed this blog post; you put forth a common theme that will most definitely run through the rest of our lives. If there's anything I've learned from Scripture, it's this: The Bible is not about a whole bunch of good guys and bad guys, and our task is not to emulate the good guys and make fun of the bad guys. In other words, the Bible is not about moralizing everything and transforming Scripture into some ancient list of spiritual "to-do's." No, the Bible is about a huge amount of bad guys and only one good guy, Jesus Christ. And we would do ourselves well to recognize that we're an awful lot like all those bad guys in the Bible. And that our only hope of finding joy and peace is found in seeing God, and ourselves, rightly - seeing God rightly stirs the affections of the heart.

So Nick, just remember that sometimes the answer is not to figure out how to "do." Instead, sometimes the answer is to genuinely understand that He's already "done."

Good hearing from you; see you around, Mr. Francis.